Friday, January 3, 2014

Thanksgiving

Ok, it's been a long time since my last post, not with lack of attempt though! I have sat down quite a few times now and attempted to write this. I always seem to get lost in my in what I'm writing though, or just my thoughts for that matter (both are pretty darn normal lately, I probably spend more time daydreaming then I spend in the real world. I gotta say though, its not incredibly boring).

I think I want to buy a waffle, I'm at my favorite coffee shop where I live, trying to finally focus on this oh so neglected blog.

Ok, waffle bought, back on track.

 So much has happened and there's so much to tell, I'm not entirely sure where to start... I left off at Thanksgiving though last so I'll try and just start there. Well I suppose a better way to say that is the lack of Thanksgiving in Norway, not very many people know very much about it other than, "Oh yeah you guys just eat turkey right?" and the one amazing person that said "Isn't it a day your thankful for everything?" Honestly  I almost jumped up hugged the second person, although knowing that hugging a random, probably way to talkative foreigner, would have most likely been a bit weird, as I had just randomly met the person,  I restrained myself to a high five, haha!

Anyways, of course since it isn't an actual holiday here, I went to school and had a regular Thursday, just like any other. Few things have made me feel weirder than that day, like your just missing something of yourself. Even thinking about it now, more than a month later, I can completely remember the feeling. I think it was actually a good thing though, because no matter how off I felt, I realized I still had the option to make my day great and I can say in complete honesty, I definitely did do my best. I probably had some of the most hilarious conversations that day with other students about the most random things, than I have had so far in my entire exchange and probably got more "Happy Thanksgivings" then I would have normally gotten in The States. I think the biggest thing I learned from that odd day is life is seriously what you make it, you'll usually always receive what you give to others. Making that realization is really important.

My host family was so incredible though as well. My host parents couldn't be there the evening after school because of a necessary appointment that was not in anyone's control, but my wonderful Norwegian Grandma, we call her Mimi, came over to visit and taste the horrible Pecan Pie I attempted to make. I think that is definitely one thing I should let my US Grandma make for Thanksgiving  from now on, it wasn't horribly fantastic. It was great to have the company though and she is the sweetest, so it made even a cruddy pie special. I also shared "Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" with my host brother, which at least with my family is definitely a Thanksgiving tradition.





I was as well was pretty fortunate to have a really special Thanksgiving dinner with my host family the Sunday after! We of course had turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing and the best thing PUMPKIN PIE! I was lucky to get a Christmas package from my US family the day before that inside held, a can of pumpkin, that pie turned out much better than the other :) To my American family reading this: Thank you for smuggling pumpkin into a pumpkinless country for me!



The meal was turned out great and it was so incredible that my host family was willing to go out of their way, especially my host mom (and believe me making a thanksgiving dinner outside of the US is not easy), just for a tradition that we have at home. I'm pretty lucky to have a such an amazing family that truly just cares. I can also honestly say that Norwegian turkey is much better than any of the turkey I've had in the US. Who would of guessed, right?

I'll apologize for the photo but I only took one, I was too excited to eat, haha!


So yes, that was my Norwegian Thanksgiving, not so normal, but definitely one I'll always remember and cherish (no matter how cheesy that sounds). Tusen takk alle sammen!

I'll try and write soon about Christmas here, but of course with my neglected blog record I will try to not make too many promises! Haha!








No comments:

Post a Comment